Future Of Surgery To Take Place Close To Patients Homes

October 2017

Hospital Management

Country of origin: UK

A report on the future of planned surgery, recommends that 80% of all surgery should be done locally with the remaining 20% of the more complex cases taking place at specialist centres where patients will have access to the most highly skilled surgeons in their field, using the most up to date technology.

In his report ?Saws and Scalpels to Lasers and Robots - Advances in Surgery? Prof. Sir Ara Darzi the National Advisor on Surgery, sets out the changes that have taken place over the past two decades which have led to a revolution in how surgery is carried out. The use of more lasers and keyhole surgery has led to a quicker recovery for patients and less risk of infection. Procedures that previously required long stays in hospitals, such as hernia operations, can now be done as day cases in more local settings. The development of new drugs have made some surgery, such as the treatment of stomach ulcers, completely unnecessary,

Prof. Sir Ara Darzi said: ?Whilst I have been practising as a surgeon there have been major advances in surgical techniques. Advances that mean the physical and psychological trauma of surgery for the patient is much diminished. Smaller incisions plus a speedier recovery equals improved care for patients. Yet we could be doing much more minimally invasive day case surgery.

?As surgery has improved, it has also become more specialised. To take advantage of this specialisation we need to ensure that the most complex cases are being treated by the most skilled surgical teams (surgeons, nurses and anaesthetists). The NHS is not yet providing surgery in a way that makes the most of the progress in surgery over the last twenty years. I hope my report will be a step in changing that.?

Commenting on the report the President of the Royal College of Surgeons, Mr Ribeiro said, ?I welcome the intention that most patients should have their surgery done locally as day cases as long as the required facilities are available for pre-operative assessment, surgery and post-operative care. This trend towards day case surgery is evidenced by increasing numbers performed by NHS consultants each year in many different settings. It is imperative that surgery is carried out by appropriately trained and qualified surgeons who meet the standards required by the College. This is essential to ensure the safe treatment of our patients.

?Equally, the College strongly supports the requirement that surgeons with the greatest experience in specialised areas should be operating on the most complex cases.?

?Saws and Scalpels to Lasers and Robots - Advances in Surgery? can be found on the Department of Health website.

Resources

Updated Guidance for the Management of Deaths Resulting From a Flu Pandemic May 2018 An updated guidance document proposes changes to the procedures for death and cremation certification that could be used in...
Atlas of Variation to Drive Health Improvements May 2018 Why continue to publish, indeed? For the simple
reason that in healthcare, as in health, there is no
meaningful...
Designing and commissioning services May 2018 NHS RightCare is a national NHS England supported programme committed to delivering the best care to patients, making the...
A Single Source For Patient Safety April 2018 HHS' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is a national 'one-stop' portal of resources for improving patient...
Health maps to drive health improvements April 2018 In the National Health Service (NHS), we are interested to know whether people in different parts of the country have equal...
Start Smart Then Focus April 2018 The Department of Health has published new guidance Start Smart - Then Focus which will help hospital prescribers ensure...
Assessing patient safety March 2018 HHS Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality recently announced a new tool to help hospitals and health systems evaluate...
Clinical Governance and Adult Safeguarding: an Integrated Process January 2018 The aim of recent best practice guidance, published by the Department of Health (England) is to encourage organisations to...
Clean, Safe Care: Reducing Infections And Saving Lives November 2017 A document has been published which draws together recent initiatives to tackle healthcare associated infections and...
Code Of Practice For The Prevention And Control Of Healthcare Associated Infections November 2017 A code of practice has been produced to help NHS bodies plan and implement how they can prevent and control healthcare...
Search by Keyword